Friday, September 16, 2011

This Side of Autumn

Footbridge in Palenville
Palenville, NY
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower.
Albert Camus


I looked at the calendar this morning only to realize that we are this side of autumn. In five days, autumn will be here. It's hard to think about the concept of cooler weather when you have been victim to seventy days of 100 or more degrees. It seems that autumn comes at the most appropriate time.

For me autumn is a gentle bridge I cross each year before the chill and dark of winter. I enjoy the decay and smells and sounds of autumn. The leaves crumple underneath my feet. I hear children screaming and playing in school playgrounds near by. The scent of the corny dogs and funnel cakes float from the Cotton Bowl and make me hungry and smile. Autumn is a bridge I don't mind crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.