Friday, July 30, 2010

Wide Open Spaces



After driving over 1,700 miles since this past Sunday, I can tell you first hand that there are plenty of wide open spaces from Keller (near Fort Worth, TX) to Taos and back.  These expanses are majestic natural forms of art.  The clouds form shapes that appear and disappear before your eyes.  You become the spectator of nature's live exhibition.

The beauty of these spaces are that you can see for miles without obstruction.  You can view all around you.  Things are clear:  clouds,skies, rainbows, and plains.  All for you to see.  Finding yourself in these expanses becomes less of an issue.  You are here where you belong.  You were born to partake of something greater than you. Life unfolds before your eyes.

There's something special about it all.  It makes me pause. I wonder again is there a reason why we have a pair of each: feet, legs, hands, eyes, ears, nostrils, but we have only one mouth? Did the universe design us to participate more than speak?  

If it's true that actions speak louder than words, then we must listen to that uneasy feeling that beckons us.  We are called to act and to witness life firsthand with all of our senses.

When I die I don't want anyone lamenting my life.  I want people to say that he lead a full life; "he died with his eyes closed and his heart open".  Whatever it is that the wide open spaces of life discloses for you, find your joy.  I got a glimpse of it and I would like to share it with you.

Today is my birthday.  This is my gift.  It's not for me, it's for you.  Accept this gift and advice from a friend:  "find the joy in your life".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.