Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Whatever It Takes

San Cristobal
El Condado, San Juan, Puerto Rico


Just a few thoughts this morning before I dive into my work. Dad leaves for Puerto Rico tomorrow to gather his thoughts, spend time with his siblings, and perhaps find new friendship. The fact remains that Dad is willing to launch on a new journey despite his advanced age, eighty-eight.

Colorful Past
Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
My father left Puerto Rico in search of opportunities and a better life for his young family. At the time, there were no opportunities for advancement in Puerto Rico and no industry. The agrarian life was in shambles; sugar cane and coffee were no longer capable of sustaining the island's economy. Those who returning from their WWII military tours of service quickly turned their sights towards the promises of the US mainland. 

My father joined his oldest brother already in New York. Dad with nothing more than a vision and a promise left his comfort zone and was prepared to do "whatever it takes" to support his family.

Decades have past since that time. Today, I lean on Dad for his advice and wisdom. He stands on my sidelines and reminds me that I too have to do whatever it takes. There's a time for pride and there's a time to put your pride aside. Dad did both and so will I.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.