Friday, April 22, 2011

Memories Forgotten

Remember When?
"Red Hook"
Brooklyn, NY

My friend Harry's been shuttling me around New York.  Taking me to places that jar my childhood memories.  I remember these briefly, as fractions of seconds, like a shutter speed on a camera.  My childhood happened all to quickly. It was hard and fraught with many economic down turns and interspersed with family illness.  Of course, the seasoning always was the family trips and feasts.  Regardless, my parents kept the family together and we miraculously survived.

The city is still glamorous but far different than the fear I harbored growing up in "The Bronx".  Twice our apartment was robbed in broad day light then Dad transplanted us to the safety of a small Connecticut town nestled in the foothills of the Berkshires.

It's been all good this life of mine.  Gone are the days of wishing things away and lusting for the future.  I cherish each awake moment frame by frame.  I am fortunate to be a photographer and I carry my camera with me like a painter has an ever ready canvas.  I live now and I am so ready to just enjoy what each moment brings.  It took me a while to understand what living is;  wise friends and shamans taught me along the way.  I like the fact that I can still write the ending to this play.  I choose where on the stage I want to be and listen patiently to the direction my spirit prompts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.