Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ranchos de Taos: San Francisco de Asis

San Francisco de Asis
Ranchos de Taos, NM

As part of my photographic pilgrimage, I elected to find my way to Taos, a place that I had heard of but never seen.  Taos itself was a bit to touristy for me.  Most of the fun was in getting there through the mountains, prairies, and grasslands of northeastern New Mexico.  Unfortunately, by the time I reached Taos, I was completely exhausted.  My sleep deprivation began to catch up with me.  I found myself not very inspired.

The next morning I packed early and headed back south.  Just on the outskirts of town I found the church made famous by Georia O'Keefe, San Francisco de Asis.  The structure is relatively small but its majesty is incredible.  The soft seductive lines and curves of the adobe structure are sensuous at all times of day.  It is a classical study of contrast and color.  You truly feel the reverence of the church and the parishioners who each year re-mud the exterior walls by hand.  The parishioners heal the church and it in turn heals them throughout the year.    There is a relationship between soul and structure.  An opportunity for both spiritual and physical renewal.

Each time I have an opportunity to capture one of these moments, I truly want to ring a bell or use a hammer or make some kind of noise.  Something that awakens you to the beauty that you might be missing.  If, only, "If I had a hammer."  Hopefully, my images make you feel the urgency that I feel.  I don't want to miss out and I don't think you should either.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.