Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Shortcomings

My Face Doesn't Fit on a Dollar Bill


Some people get encouragement when they are younger.  I can't say that I always did.  My favorite uncle was my best ally but he was also brutally honest.  I was a chubby kid growing up and Uncle Louie held no punches.  One day he said to me, "You could never be president."  My ego got deflated but I was a glutton for more punishment and pressed further.  "Why?"  I asked and he responded.  "Your face could never fit on a dollar bill."

Just like that my whole political future was taken away from me at the age of ten.  Can you imagine if that had been said to Obama?  "Son, your ears are too big and unless we have Mickey Mouse Money, you aren't going to make it."

My mentor, my handsome uncle's words crushed me.  I believed everything he told me.  It was okay though, a little mean, but ok.  He knew that I would be successful and that I was smart enough to overcome the adversity of discrimination.  In time, I grew to learn to be different with my words and my creativity.

My uncle's words were prophetic.  I never made it to President of the United States or even to president of a major corporation.   If I had, I wouldn't have experienced the full and interesting life that I have already lived.  I can't help but wonder though;  just, what if, my face got slimmer?  My life is not over yet!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.