Thursday, December 13, 2012

Utilizing Light

Bisbee Doors
Bisbee, AZ
The higher elevations provide a bright and intense contrasty light. While its perfect for those with seasonal disorders, its super challenging for photographers. A bright sunny day is great for somethings. Here in the desert southwest you learn to work promptly both in the early morn and at dusk. 

On my recent trip to Bisbee, I looked for opportunities to even shoot in the taboo photographer forbidden mid-day. The various allies afforded me the luxury that I needed enough light bouncing off of walls to take decent shots without harsh lighting.

My walks in the late afternoon also give me a chance to study light. The light moves quickly as a magnet drawn to steel behind the mountains that surround my temporary lodging.
Referee Cactus Keeping Score
Outside of Tucson, AZ

Truthfully, I've no axe to grind with the sun. It's simply an adjustment to my style. We walk both in shadows and in light. Our journey takes us through both. We react and adapt accordingly. To capture the images we think we see, we must do both.

Life is a journey they say, an adventure. There are times where I pine for the status quo but thats not what the journey has in store. The road is not straight it has many curves, detours, and dips. And in my case, I find myself going down unpaved roads to get to my final destination. 

In some ways, Robert Frost's trees have become my cacti. Either way, I still have "promises to keep" and "miles to go before I sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.