Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Invited to the Dance


To paraphrase Jesus, "many are called, but few are chosen" to dance.  In Mexico, life is the dance.    People from all over the world flock to it's beaches, it's vibrant cities, and revel in its art and culture.  It's a standing invitation but few choose to take the invitation to heart.

It requires listening and slowing down.  In order to dance you have to listen to the music.  The rhythms are happy and syncopated with the blare of trumpets and the strumming of guitars.  The participanta become dervishes of their own accord as mariachi melodies tells stories of love, heart break, and drunken pleasure.

Life's drama of unfurls with the each folkloric dance step.  The cadence is lively and upbeat.  It's a matter of time before I am completely enveloped by the blend of choreography and music.  It is dusk I notice, but I feel already the energy of my early morn.

It's been a while since I've danced or wanted to dance, but the music compels me.  I listen and give my soul permission to dance.  It graciously accepts the offer.  The mariachis, the dancers, and the evening all become one.  My worries become blurs like the skirts of the young senorita dancers.  A smile overcomes my face and reflects its light like a well lit summer's night moon.  My senses are alive and all I can think is how joyous it is to be alive.  I am in a San Miguel de Allende state of mind.  I will draw from this well many times in the days that lie ahead of me.  The singing and the dancing just never stop.  

When you hear the call, welcome the invitation and accept, "many are called, but few are chosen".