Friday, May 14, 2010

A Thousand Words


Mrs. Fortuna was perhaps one of the best high school English teachers.  She new exactly how to motivate someone like me.  She never set limits on creativity but rather encouraged spontaneity of thought.  Most English teachers were stiff and structured, she was 100% free form.

While she was great, no one dreaded the proverbial essay assignment more than me.  "In one thousand words or less...please write about...."  Hands would go up immediately.  "Is that single or double spaced?" Why the hell would that matter?  It didn't detract from the required number of words.

Still, I don't like limits on words and to this day, I prefer short essays to lengthy tomes, short stories instead of lengthy novels.  With photography by my side however, I can cheat the writing process; the ratio of one picture to a thousand words works fine for me.   There's no need for me to count the words.  The viewer provides his own and his imagination deciphers the story, one word at a time.

Well I've run over my allotted words.  I will let the pictures tell the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.