Friday, July 27, 2012

Getting Ready

Reception and Shoes
Dallas, TX

I remember when I was in school, they would ask, 'What are you going to be when you grow up?' and then you'd have to draw a picture of it. I drew a picture of myself as a bride.


Before I shoot a wedding, I like to prepare mentally. It's as if I were an actor preparing my lines for a lead role. I try to envision the choreography of the day: preparation, ceremony, portraits, and reception. If possible, I try to get to know the wedding party and other cast members. If there's a story, I want to be able to tell it.

Plenty of detail goes into wedding preparation. Most of it has been mentally laid out since childhood. Now in the digital age, details appear on dream books in Pinterest and Facebook. My job is to notice all the details, to let my senses feel, and to capture them in fractions of seconds. I totally have to put myself in the mood of the scene and it's setting weeks beforehand.

In a few weeks, I will be casting another wedding. Already, I've tried to create my own storybook to shoot from. For the next several weeks, all of my thoughts will be focused on roughly eight to twelve hours of shooting. There will be no do overs and so I know that it has to be done right. My heart is ready as is my eye.



1 comment:

Please feel free to comment.