Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Finally

Peson de Pima
Pima Canyon
Tucson, AZ


He who is not courageous enough to take risks
 will accomplish nothing in life.
Muhammad Ali
Since arriving in Tucson I've discovered a whole new dimension of myself and my art. It took me a great deal of intestinal fortitude to overcome the anxiety of transplanting myself away from my friends and family. Those of you my age understand exactly what I mean. If you know me, you also understand that I am risk averse.

Fear has held me back from many things including self discovery. However my passion for art has propelled me beyond my comfort zone. People who have seen my work have also encouraged me beyond my status quo.

With their encouragement and the knowledge and desire to share my experience and journey, I chose to step out and attempt to put my work in a gallery where others could openly see my work and even judge me and it.

The body of work features my experience here with the Catalinas and Pima Canyon and outlying areas. It's about not only a study of light and shapes but rather my intimate relationship and affair with a lifelong soulmate, nature. In my personal exile she has comforted me and reminded me of the world around me. The work is very personal and expresses my feelings. This work is not about exact reproduction but rather interpretation and inspiration.

By incorporating the darkness and melancholy of my spirit and blending it with the luminosity found at sunset, I was able to discover the obvious. Darkness and light exist together. Ultimately we all have the hope that a light shines through the darkness. The promise of light drives us. We must not lose the anticipation of the positive.

My work is now on display at the Steinway Piano Gallery here in Tucson. Please come view it and experience it. Hopefully, it will also inspire you too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.