Saturday, August 4, 2012

Back Again

Arch Angel San Miguel
San Miguel de Allende, GTO, MX

Lately, I've been working on  new ways of interpreting my subjects both animate and inanimate. The single most frustration, I face is that while I can visualize art, I can't paint or draw to save my life. My brain while sensitively designed with the desire to paint has  no painterly capacity whatsoever. To that extent, I depend on the lens to capture my subject. Afterwards, I rely on my Photoshop skills to render my interpretation of both how I saw something and how it moved me.

The single most image, I've seen throughout my visits to San Miguel de Allende is the likeness of the angel warrior the Arch San Miguel, the guardian and protector of the city. With wings outstretched and a blazing sword in his hand he is a formidable champion. It's easy to see why so many are drawn to his likeness and what he represents.

We all need champions in our hearts that will fight the super villains that life throws our way. These villains: death, disease, drought, famine, and poverty have yet to relinquish their grip on us. Since our upright origins, man has consequently let his imagination create images to help overcome his natural fear. In essence,  he created images that were larger than and sufficient to intimidate fear. He created art of these images as archival reminders to both himself and to for the comfort of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.