Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tell The Story

Novios Bailando
Fort Worth, TX
“Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.” 
-George Carlin

Behind a photograph there's a story. As I prepare for an event such as a wedding, I try to get to know the couple and their story. By the day of the wedding, I want to be able to not only capture the image, but to also convey the story. The only way this can happen is for me to allow my feelings to come into play; I try to open up my senses and I jot down my notes with each shutter release.

During the wedding ceremony itself, I am not simply trying to witness the moment, but rather I am trying to archive the emotion of that moment. As the photographer,via the lens, I act as the emotional witness to the event. Since it is mechanical, it relies on my intuitive judgement of the day. The more I know about the couple, the more likely I am to capture a meaningful image.

During Sarah and Camron Burke's wedding, the minister referred to a lone lit candle which was lit early in the ceremony. He mentioned that it represented the spirit of the bride's departed mother. He implied that she was present in spirit with Sarah on her wedding day. About that moment, I saw Sarah look down a little forlorn and holding back her natural sadness about her mom. I took the shot to capture the emotion. Keeping in mind her story and the moment. In a photojournalistic way, I caught what could be construed as perhaps Sarah's mother (a matronly lady in the wall portrait) looking over her daughter's shoulder.

No, I didn't plan it that way, but if I had not allowed myself to feel and take the time to understand, this shot never would have happened. It's an interesting contradiction that what I suppressed all these years (feelings) is now what makes my photography distinct. My work is not just about adding a Photoshop filter or effect. It's much more than that and will always be about warmth and emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.