Saturday, August 25, 2012

Capturing Emotion

Madre y Novios
Fort Worth, TX

Marriage is the golden ring in a chain whose
beginning is a glance and whose ending is eternity.
~ Kahil Gibran ~

Yesterday was a day spent digging deep for inspiration. At first it simply would not come; on a quest during the day, I sought the comfort of other photographers and talked about everything it seemed under the sun. Just was looking for some kind of spark to ignite the creative process in me.

Creativity begets creativity. By the day's end several projects came to mind and appeared resolutely as the fog lifted. One of the images, I chose to revisit was Madre y Novios (Mother, Bride & Groom). Decided to use various luminosity techniques for both interest and help tell a story. The bride obviously is the story but behind her is (perhaps watching) an unknown matron. We can see that the matrons face is clearly obscured by the lense's depth of field and we can only see the groom's profile. Both Bride and groom are pensive and reflective of words being said. The bride is not really melancholic; there's bitter sweet joy on her face.

Had I not reached out yesterday, to my friends, I don't think my emotions would have surfaced enough to recreate this special moment. For years, I've wondered why I was so sensitive. Now with my camera it bubbles to the surface and the opportunity arises to share them with my audience.  My process is about feelings and emotion. Art relies on the senses it's origins are metaphysical and translated back into the physical. Feeling is part of living. Suppressing feelings only detracts from living. We were made to feel and be moved. As a photo artist, I choose to capture a sense and recreate moods. If only, Rembrandt and the other masters were here to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.