Saturday, August 25, 2012

Reinvent Yourself

Self-Portrait
iPhone Artistry

"When we can no longer change a situation,
we are challenged to change ourselves."

Viktor Frankl



In nature, metamorphosis is a biological process by which an animal physically develops after birth or hatching, involving a conspicuous and relatively abrupt change in the animal's body structure through cell growth and differentiation. We commonly witness this process in insects and amphibians. The process is typically accompanied by noticeable changes of habitat or behavior. A very real transformation takes place usually in an abbreviated time span.

Self Portrait: Il Fotografo
Several years ago, I too began a metamorphosis. Its catalyst was the fact that I could no longer change my situation. As much as I tried to get back into the corporate world and fit into the many careers I had held nothing seemed to take any more. Like the Viktor Frankl quote, I was challenged to transform myself. The artist and photographer which had always been present in my life came to the surface. It found and opportunity to emerge and transform me.

It's been a painful process coming out of the corporate cocoon, shedding the comforts of the skin, and learning to fly with new found wings. This is far from the end of my journey, but rather it is the beginning of my new life as an artist and photographer. There's no looking back now. I've shed what's held me back. With the help of my friends and the sacrifice of my wife, the metamorphosis continues as I explore new creative options. Its all unchartered territory for me.

You see it in my work from the fine art landscapes to the weddings and engagements with a fine art flair. As an artist I am finding my voice. It's important to not only express myself but to also convey the emotions that I am experiencing while on the metamorphosis journey. The safety nets are long gone all that I have to rely on are my skills: survival, finance, marketing, and photography. This is now me; the metamorphosis has exposed the real me. 

Many of you are now faced with similar issues. While we all can't be artists, we can choose to transform ourselves. We are resilient and all of us have more than one dimension. Changes beckons us to adapt and to also change ourselves. Take the opportunity to reinvent yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.