Monday, May 27, 2013

It Came to Me

Prickly Pear Cactus at Sunset
Pima Canyon
Tucson, AZ

Many years ago, I met an artist in San Miguel de Allende, who spoke about her art in poetic almost metaphysical phrases. When I asked her about her process she would say, "it just came to me." Nearly each piece started and finished on some kind of external impulse, inspiration followed by a dissipation of the same. It could very well be the ebbs and flows of the creative process. I do not portend to know.

What I know is this for several long weeks, I've not had the inspiration to write or even process images. It's true, I've been tired and distracted by work but I've felt a very real piece of me gone hollow by my neglect and absence.  Writing and photographing is who I am. Whether or not I earn money doing it is irrelevant to my process and to my being.

We do find many distractions along the journey but we should stay true to our compass and course. The journey you are on is not about anyone else. You own it solely. It holds your destiny. Some were born to lead and some were born to follow. I choose to follow my own path and to find my way.

At the end of my life, I will conclude my journey. I want to make sure that all that has "come to me" is fulfilled by my creativity. To this extent the vast expanses of the unobstructed desert suite my needs well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.