Monday, March 14, 2011

Bread and Butter Too

View on the Strip
Las Vegas, Nevada



The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. 

Robert Frost 


There are certain aspects of our personalities that manifests themselves early on in our development. My sister and I were talking the other day and she happened to remind me of one of them. As was my father's custom, he routinely prayed and thanked God for his daily bread.  She said that I would interrupt his prayer and include the butter.


That's right folks from way back, I've always wanted just a little bit more:  the icing, the spice, and the gravy of life.  It seems that wanting just the basics was not enough.  It was in me to work and think a little harder than everyone else to obtain something extra.


Later on in life, I recognized that not everyone wanted more out of life.  Quite a few were simply satisfied with just bread.  I don't knock those that simply want bread.  Whether its bread or butter or bread and butter, it's a matter of being content with your life.  For me, I still want more intangibles:  memories and adventure.  There are still many things I would like to experience and see.  Life with simply bread and no butter would be drab for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.