Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hidden Treasure

Keller Covered Bridge
Keller, TX
Taken and Processed with the iPhone 4S



Many of you know that I spent quite a bit of time conducting a search of my ancestry and my heritage. Several months before she passed away my mother sharply criticized me and said that I should stop chasing the gold of my ancestors because there wasn't any. That truly was the last chuckle we had together. Those wise words have lingered in my mind.


In the book, The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho, narrates the sojourn of a young man in search of his treasure. By the end of the book the reader learns by the series of events depicted in the journey that the sought after treasure was along along within his reach and nearby.


This autumn, my journey led me to the Catskills and New England. Like the Alchemist, I too searched for my treasure. It came to me and I shot many frames. Most were rejects but a few which I've posted here were quite good.


Yet this morning, my insomnia must have jarred my memory and awakened me. Perhaps it was the anticipation of another image inside of me that needed to unfold. As I sat in bed in our bedroom lit by the light of the iPhone LED, I stumbled across this image and processed it. 


It turns out that one of the most beautiful shots of autumn this year was right in my very back yard. It appeared to me as I was taking my daily four mile walk. Sometimes the treasures we seek are within walking distance and sometimes they reside within ourselves. In this case it was just down the road from where I live.



2 comments:

  1. Life itself is the ultimate hidden treasure. You just have to be willing to open your eyes, open your mind ... and ultimately open your heart.

    When you open yourself so completely, you will be amazed what you can see. Deep within that discovery is where love can be found.

    Nice Al ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly right. Life itself is the treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment.