Saturday, June 11, 2011

Smiling Joe


Smiling Joe
If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.



Pensive Joe
It's only been a few months since my friend passed away.  I miss him terribly and there's a chasm in my heart that needs to be filled.  He was a friend, a father figure, and a life coach.  Every wake moment he talked kindly and practiced charity with his whole being.

Joe embraced each day with an attitude of gratitude.  He never complained although he had plenty of cause to do so.  He remained thankful for all of his blessings including his family and close friends.  Joe represented everything that I wanted to be:  a solid man with love and compassion towards those around him.

Each Sunday that Joe joined us for breakfast, I selfishly hoped that some of Joe's optimism would rub off on me.  In the worse way, I wanted to be like him:  cheerful, happy, easy going, loving, gracious, and simply kind.  He was virtuous and exemplified all things good and decent.

Consulting with Fairy Godmother
Joe lived life completely each day and was grateful for each breath that he had.  He looked towards the future with hope and enjoyed each day as it would be his last.  He was not fearful.

Through out his last years, he kept the embers of his lost love glowing and he kept her alive by recanting his memories of her.  He lived and died in love and surrounded by love.  Each day now, I think about what Joe taught me and how he lived.  In my mind, I want to keep all of Joe alive.  I pray to have the courage and the fortitude that Joe had.  It comforts me greatly to think about the times, I spent with Joe and how soothing his words sounded to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.