Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Success and Disappointments

Navigating in Mist
Zion National Park, UT


Men's best successes come after their disappointments.
Henry Ward Beecher

Some of the subjects that I once failed, I now know best.  With the help of some very patient teachers, I mastered my weaknesses and turned them into strengths.  Solving for the unknown in Algebra was not easy for me.  At that time, I couldn't think abstractly and the logic baffled me.  Once I caught on to the logic, it became a game where the object was to find the hidden answer.  The same held true for subjects like calculus and finance.  Subjects that I not only learned to master but that I also learned to excel.  None of it came naturally to me.  I simply did not want to fail.  I wanted to learn.

Many times after months of having composed an image, I go back to only discover, that what I had discarded or ignored was worth processing in a different fashion.  I might not have known the technique at the time of the original capture.  Armed with different tools, knowledge, and experience, I may find that I can not only salvage the composition but also turn it into meaningful art.

Time affords us new skills.  It is not our enemy.  There is wisdom in going back to an image and seeing it with new vision.  You can turn your failures into success.  You will become stronger for it.  Failures, the ultimate F word, become bright beacons of success along the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.