Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pointless Information or Entertainment?


The other day I was talking with one of my retired pilot friends at Starbucks.  "Jon", I said.  "I've been thinking of installing an altimeter for my Volkswagen CC."  He looked at me with a quizzical smile on his face.   He knew I was pulling his leg but he probed a little deeper.  "Why would you do that, Al?"


You see he knows that when I am driving my CC the chances are slim to none that I will drive right into a mountain range.  There's really no need for me to have this information other than to entertain myself while I drive.  There's nothing that I can do with that information.  Having that instrument would provide me with entertainment but that's about it.


Well like Jon, you might be wondering where I am going with this.  Think about this for a moment.  Of all the news information we receive on a daily basis what can we really do with it?  What value does it serve? Is it information (something you can do something about) or entertainment (passive activity)?  For instance I keep hearing about the debt crisis in Greece.  Now, I know that there's only so many dolmas and gyros that I can eat.  Although,  I am a hungry guy, my logic tells me I can't impact the Greek deficit that much.  So I am amused by how much information I receive about something I can't do anything about.  I mean really I can't start a Greek Relief Drive for this.  There will be no Greek Live Aid on TV.    Sorry no late night telethon on NPR.  No free Zobra DVD's for your contribution of $100 or more.  Oopah!!!


Useless information plagues us every day.  We fret over it twenty four hours a day on TV and cable networks.  Why do we pay attention to it, we can't change it.  It's at best poor entertainment.  When I think of entertaining myself, however, I sure think I can do better than the financial  PIIGS ( the acronym assigned by the financial wizards from Euro/Arian Nations to debt ridden Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, and Spain.)  My camera seems way more appealing for both entertainment and facts.


There have been so many changes in my life this past year alone.   It's time to reconnect with life and just enjoy it.  So I am headed to Mexico.  I don't need useless instruments to entertain me or misguide me.  I am tone deaf to those events which only entertain me.  You may not hear from me next week, but I will be fine.  It's just time for me to participate and absorb some life.  Time to renew my creativity and visit with a great friend and fan in San Miguel de Allende.  Time to listen to the bells, hear the school children play, and sip my coffee near the Parroquia.  Got some living to do.