Monday, March 3, 2014

Reconnecting



Day of Iguana
Rincon, Puerto Rico
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, 
whether it is to sail or to watch
-we are going back from whence we came.
John F. Kennedy

Had the good fortune to spend some time with my father in Puerto Rico. While there I stole sometime to head to Rincon beach on the western side of the island. Needed to hear the ocean surf and for a bit still my soul and rock it with the constant undulation of Caribbean Sea.


Rincon Surfer
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Near the lighthouse, just south of Aguadilla, I was able to observe both the iguana and beach surfer, one on land the other on the sea. Each enjoying what the ocean offers and simultaneously basking in the sun. It seems that over the years, we forget what simply makes us content and some of it is free of charge and requires no mortgage.

Yet many of us voyagers, on this journey called life, have managed to mortgage our best years of life to quench insatiable desires believing we will find the illusive happiness. Don't believe any longer that happiness can be measured by the square footage of my house, its contents, nor the automobile I drive. Can't say I know exactly what defines it or how I can measure it, but I think both surfer and iguana may be on to something greater than I've found on my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.