Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mom's Hands

Mom's Legacy

It will be one year since Mom passed, July 15th to be exact. We actually lost parts of her over a span of two years. The final three months were almost unbearable for my father and my sisters. At the right time, we were all able to finally let go of the funny lady, the great cook, healer, and spiritual advisor we knew as Mom.

Several years ago, on one of my visits, I photographed her hands knowing that they would bring back pleasant memories long after she would be gone. Notice the crook of her finger. That was not only her cooking measuring device but if pointed in your direction, it was a warning to flee the premises.

The healing has been albeit slow, but recently I've been able to share my love for my Mom with other seniors. Oddly no one ever tells us that upon the death of a parent, we their survivors miss being someone's son or daughter. Healing takes time but we can heal quicker if we learn to help and assist other seniors like the parents we lost.

Didn't realize how important my role of teasing and storytelling with my Mom was to me. Now I find a way to brighten up other seniors. It turns out that they cheer me up more than what I do for them. It's a great feeling to know that I can keep my mother's memory alive long after by simply fulfilling my role as her son with other who need one. While I can't see my mother's smile any longer, I sure can feel her smile and the warmth of her love each day. Now, I pass it on to others just like her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.