Friday, April 13, 2012

Friends

Primos
A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.
Elbert Hubbard

From the moment, I shot this image I knew the capture was special. The look on the two cousins moved me to take the shot. Kindred spirits were picking up where they last left off.  

As I processed the image, I wondered how fun it would be to be able to photograph them every decade for the remainder of their lives on the same bench. It seems to me that they will have a bond that will last a lifetime. Their bond appears to extend beyond blood lines into friendship.

There's so much value in friendship. It's a talent that appears to be going by the wayside with the advent of FB. It's been going on for a while now probably since modern transportation could take us further away from our families. The construction of suburbs added to it, I am sure. The advent of email further diminished the skill of writing long letters to friends and family, too. Now social media and texting further diminishes our interaction as we rely on LOL's and emoticons to communicate. Our friendship becomes void of emotion and feeling like our communication. Interaction once filled with nuances and facial expressions over a cup of coffee appear now only at an occasional trip to Starbucks.

This morning I've given some thought to the experience of friendship. As tough and judgmental that my mother could be I really did notice that she was capable of loving us even though we could have broken her heart. My experience with my wife, my children, and a few close friends both near and far, and of course, my dog Buckley, is that friendship is also unconditional. If you want acceptance than give it too. Don't hold back free up your heart.

My family has done the same for me. They have seen me hit some bumps and potholes on my journey. They have watched me agonize and struggle and remained steadfast in their love. A few close friends have bothered to care and even some far away. This has left me profoundly grateful and taught me a valuable life lesson: the healing power of friendship.

Give this some thought today: "a friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same." You will find it will enrich your marriage, make you more successful, and enable you to make and keep friends. It's worth the effort. Keep learning and you will keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment.